Garbage disposals grind up and discard your waste food items for disposal down the kitchen drain and into the sewage system. According to InSinkErator, the first garbage disposal was created in 1927.
Garbage disposals make life easier in the kitchen. No longer do you have to suffer through food waste decomposing and causing foul odors from the trash. Now, everything from shells to peels to meat scraps can be thrown down the garbage disposal, ground up, and flushed away. Although most of us take garbage disposals for granted, all debris going into disposers can overwhelm them and clog the kitchen sink drain.
Garbage Disposal was created in 1927 by InSinkErator founder John W. Hames.
Repair or Replace
Fix-R-Us can repair or replace broken garbage disposers, or help you to select what kind of garbage disposal unit is compatible with your sewer and other plumbing hookups. Many kinds of disposals are on the market, from high-end to low-end. Consider several factors, such as hose power, before making a purchasing decision. Call Now!
Residential garbage disposers
A garbage disposal is one of those appliances that most people don't think about very often –but it’s most misused appliances in any home. Garbage disposals that can't effectively grind up food will instead clog the drain as large chunks of food get stuck in the pipes. You can solve most garbage disposal problems yourself by following our helpful Tips. If the sink gets clogged and wont drain, disposal won’t work you tried everything you can don’t get frustrated. Call FIX-R-US, will repair or replace broken garbage disposers and get your sink back to normal in no time.
Commercial garbage disposers
Commercial garbage disposers are often overwhelmed by the amount and type of food fed into them. The kitchens in many businesses rely on properly functioning disposals in their sinks. Sometimes silverware, straws, dishcloths and other non-food items find their way into the disposer, causing problems in the unit and requiring professional service.
Restaurants and other food service establishment, hospitals and nursing homes, schools and hotels can’t afford their downtime in their kitchens, so our plumbers are available 24-7, 365 days a year to get your disposal working again fast and professionally. It’s important to get your disposal repaired quickly to reduce the chance of a clogged drain or a complete plumbing system backup.
- - Leaks – worn out seals allow waste and odors to escape, potentially causing health concerns or wet work areas
- - Jams – excessive food or hard-to-grind items prohibit motion of the blades
- - Humming – the motor or impellor may be burned out
- - Nothing happens – the unit might need to be reset; connection needs to be checked
- - Won’t drain – the unit may not be chopping food properly and waste may have clogged the drain pipe
Commercial garbage disposals come in many different styles and horsepower models, ranging from light duty units to more powerful 10HP heavy duty models. FIX-R-US, can repair or replace with the most efficient unit that services your needs and budget.
Garbage disposer jammed and making huming noise
A jammed garbage disposal does not mean you have to hire a plumber. Because people accidentally drop things down in disposals all the time.
- Turn off the electrical supply at the disposer.
- To release the jam. Insert the tool--a metal, hexagon-shaped device about 4 inches long and angled on each end--into the hole directly in the center on the underside of the disposal. Rotate the tool a full turn in both directions; continue rotating until the disposal turns freely.
- Turn the water faucet on first; this will keep you from accidentally running the disposal dry and damaging the unit.
- Press the reset button located on the bottom of the disposer. Restore power to the disposer.
- Run the unit for a few seconds and turn it off, turn it on again for a few more seconds to test. Turn the water off.
- Turn off the electrical supply at the disposer.If this doesn't work, Call FIX-R-US. We'll repair or replace broken garbage disposers and get your sink back to normal in no time.